Monday, March 10, 2008

Well we arrived at last


The bags beat us here into O`Hare airport but our trip took a few unanticipated turns before we arrived. We missed quite a few flights trying to fly standby due to spring breakers and weekend travellers. We eventually arrived into Chicago Midway at 1am on Southwest Airlines on a direct flight we purchased. We checked into the Senecca Hotel which is very close to the Northwestern into a large Hotel Suite separate kitchen, large livin room and bedroom. This will be home for awhile not to0 bad quite comfortable, just around the corner from our new neighbour Oprah. The hotel is quite quaint old Victorian type it reminds me of stopping at my nan`s as a kid. Sharon made her pulmonary function study at 8am, Had bloods 15 tubes one arm full taken, Ekg and went and had an Echo done. The Hospital is very efficient, serene and instills confidence where ever you go. We met with Dr Burts Coordinator Kristin, who is very approachable and informative who took the time to find us and explain our itinerary. After our Hospital soiree we went to O hare airport and located our belongings its great to clean your teeth at last.

2 comments:

Victoria Chavez said...

Yaaaay! You made it. I'm sorry you had to go through all that to get there, but you're there. So the digs are nice, huh? I can't wait to get there myself. Is it cold? Stay warm Sharon!!

Your friend,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Thank god you got there in one peice your as bad as mum with the dramas!!

Glad the accomodation is ok. Thinking of you on this challanging adventure.

Debsxxxxxx

About Me

I work as an RN in Endoscopy at John C. Lincoln Hospital and in 2006 I was diagnosed with Systemic Scleroderma, a condition that has no known treatment and was always symptom management. After doing some research, I discovered Dr. Burt, a doctor in Chicago who is pioneering the use of stem cell transplant to treat Scleroderma. This process uses my own stem cells - taken from me, cleaned, and then re-introduced back into my body, so that it will no longer recognize the Scleroderma. This is a very basic summary of a complex procedure. Systemic Scleroderma has a very poor prognosis and with my symptoms worsening I feel that this is my only chance at getting treatment and reversing my symptoms. I have worked for 6 years at JCL, Deer Valley and hope to continue there with excellence. I wish to continue be a good mother to my 2 boys, a good wife to my wonderful husband, and maybe one day be a good grandmother.