Saturday, December 6, 2008

Almost There.

Hiya,
Today is day 11 post transplant my white cell count for the first time is coming up more substantially they are 1.4 on there way to the 4.5 we need, Dr Bucha who takes care of me when Dr Burt's not around says they are very elegant in there arrival like ballet dancers slow but perfect. I have finally been disconnected from my continuous IV. Most of my meds can now be given orally it's so nice to be free with out being tethered. I still have the central line so they can draw the daily labs and give blood products as needed.

We would like to thank Caroline for taking mom and the boys to the Desert Botanical Gardens which they enjoyed immensely, also Mary C who kindly took them to the zoo lights which again they all enjoyed, however Mary did not get Aaron home before his bed time!! Thank you so much it gave them something to look forward to and definitely broke up the long days. Thanks also to Mark and Emily who took mom out and always called to see if mom needed anything and we cannot forget Sue and Gilles who took mom shopping and have always been there for us.Thanks to Nigel who fixed Kieran's bike for him so he did not have to walk to school. You guys have all been fantastic knowing that Mom and the Boys are ok makes it easier for us to be so far away. Last but not least we would like to thank mom who has been wonderful with the boys and has run the household better if not more efficiently and economically better than me. Your a gem we couldn't have done it without you.

Next week Craig's parents arrive there will be an exchange of the baton and they will take over when mom returns to the UK. Everyone is looking forward to her return only so they can go round for a good Sunday lunch!!

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Sandy who is at the same stage we are at and is not feeling so well today.

I am slowly getting used to being bald and now I am free of bad hair days!! We still await more white cells to arrive so I'll be out of the neutropenic range. We continue to be cautious another weekend in hospital watching the brutal Chicago weather from the 15th Floor window, I'm actually not envious of being out in that weather.

Finally I would like to thank Craig for his ever loving support and care. He has been truly fantastic from the time I got diagnosed with scleroderma, he has been instrumental in the treatment that I have received and supporting me, my advocate and loving husband although he still won't even give me a peck on the cheek because of germs!

Shazza x x x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad things are getting better and your WBCs are increasing. There will be no stopping you soon! The picture of the snow was beautiful although I've been complaining about our 50 some degree night time temps here. You'd probably be happy to see that in the middle of the day! I've forgotten how cold it gets in the midwest. Take care. we're all thinking about you. Laurie Haley says hi. Good thing you weren't a teenager in the 60s. You would have made a lousy hippy!!

About Me

I work as an RN in Endoscopy at John C. Lincoln Hospital and in 2006 I was diagnosed with Systemic Scleroderma, a condition that has no known treatment and was always symptom management. After doing some research, I discovered Dr. Burt, a doctor in Chicago who is pioneering the use of stem cell transplant to treat Scleroderma. This process uses my own stem cells - taken from me, cleaned, and then re-introduced back into my body, so that it will no longer recognize the Scleroderma. This is a very basic summary of a complex procedure. Systemic Scleroderma has a very poor prognosis and with my symptoms worsening I feel that this is my only chance at getting treatment and reversing my symptoms. I have worked for 6 years at JCL, Deer Valley and hope to continue there with excellence. I wish to continue be a good mother to my 2 boys, a good wife to my wonderful husband, and maybe one day be a good grandmother.