Monday, November 24, 2008

Awaiting lift off

Well tomorrow is day zero the day I get back my scleroderma free stem cells and let them loose to build my new immune system and a brighter future. My haemoglobin was low from all the chemotherapy and I received some blood to top me up. The chemo finished yesterday and I have the last immunoglobulin infusion going otherwise known as the rabbit. It was great to get rid of the catheter and irrigation today and this has helped with walking don`t feel like hopping around like a rabbit just yet. The BMT unit at the northwestern is one of the few units in America to have a reverse air system not just in your room but the whole Bone Marrow Transplant floor. This allows you to be free to walk with a mask which helps keep the old bellows going and the madness of solitary confinement at bay. Craig and the phone calls also help break up the monotony of the long days.

The 15th floor of the Northwestern yields me a striking view of lake Michigan, John Hancock Tower and Oprah's penthouse in the water tower seeing the mist this morning covering the sky scrapers was very different to the vistas of Arizona. At night Craig says it looks like a scene from the Blade Runner movie.

Well another day completed awaiting tomorrow and my new start to better health. My early Christmas present from Dr Burt arrives in the form of my stem cells tomorrow. I would give him a big hug but cannot due to isolation precautions. Even Craig won`t give me a peck on the cheek in case of bugs that's being a nurse for you..

Thanks for all the well wishes concerns and prayers.
Love Sharon and Craig

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad all is on course. thinking of you always. busy xmas shopping,and working hard but all the time you are in my thoughts. evan i am praying hard that things go well and im a heathen!!

love and miss you lots debxxx

Anonymous said...

Dear Sharon and Craig,
The Brits send you all our love and Prayers.Please know that we are thinking about you everyday and wishing you all the good luck in the world. Everyone at KGH sends you their love and will be logging on to support shazza to monitor your progress. Sue says a huge thankyou for her Xmas card and can't believe how ur 2 boys have become 2 good looking young men so quickly(obviously they get their genes from you Sharon).
We'll always be here if u need us. Take Care, all our love, The Brits

About Me

I work as an RN in Endoscopy at John C. Lincoln Hospital and in 2006 I was diagnosed with Systemic Scleroderma, a condition that has no known treatment and was always symptom management. After doing some research, I discovered Dr. Burt, a doctor in Chicago who is pioneering the use of stem cell transplant to treat Scleroderma. This process uses my own stem cells - taken from me, cleaned, and then re-introduced back into my body, so that it will no longer recognize the Scleroderma. This is a very basic summary of a complex procedure. Systemic Scleroderma has a very poor prognosis and with my symptoms worsening I feel that this is my only chance at getting treatment and reversing my symptoms. I have worked for 6 years at JCL, Deer Valley and hope to continue there with excellence. I wish to continue be a good mother to my 2 boys, a good wife to my wonderful husband, and maybe one day be a good grandmother.