Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Bruising 1st Week

Hi everyone,
Well I have week 1 under my belt or should I say tourniquet and I must admit that being on the other side of the health care fence is certainly different. I am actually excited to be having a picc line placed due to so many IV pokes, of which some that were not so successful, the options are getting slimmer, even Count Dracula would suffer getting blood from me. I've had lots of tests to check out my heart MRI's , Angiograms, Stress Tests and I think at the moment there all checking out ok. We met with Dr Burt this week who assured me that the stem cell transplant would go ahead. Phew!! Definitely one less thing for us to worry about or should I say Craig to worry about.
This weekend will be pleasant as we have no hospital trips and my arms and hands can heal. What else has happened? Well I lost my phone and subsequently acquired it from the lost and found, here I was thinking yes there are still honest people in this world, alas when I switched my phone on they had taken the sim card out. I can hear my sister laughing at this, as my phone obviously was not worth keeping. If you need to get hold of us you can contact us through Craig's cell or our home phone.
Chicago has been kind so far to us as the weather hasn`t been too bad we have managed to be able to get around without frost bite and have even taken some strolls along the lake. The change of pace to our normal lives in Phoenix is becoming less of a struggle even Craig's found time to read a book. Need to get him to sit down longer with his visits to Starbucks and we will be well away.
The boys back home are doing fine, Mom is doing a grand job! We get to talk everyday via web cam so we can continue to nag them on hygiene and homework needs. We are missing them greatly but know that we get to see them in November for a short break before returning, which we are looking forward to. My Mom gets to go trick & treating with the boys which is a first for her she's threatening to go out in a witches hat and no teeth!! Craig says she dosn`t need a costume look out neighborhood!! Love Ya mom!!
Well better go we need to find a local Best Buy to get my high tech phone sorted.
Love to all. Sharon and Craig

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sis, so sorry to hear you're not going to get a new phone!!! Im glad all is going well and I hope your arms heal good over the weekend. I think mom has her broom ready for halloween! She cant wait really, after all it is her time of year, hee hee!!!
Love ya Shaz and Craig keep reading and de-stressing!!
Love Wend xxxx

Anonymous said...

HI SHAZ ITS ME AGAIN HOPE ITS ALL OK GLADE TO HEAR ITS STILL ON WEND SAID U HAD ABRILL TIME TOGERTHER SHE INJOYED SEEING AND THE BOYS LOVE BRI WEND &JOSH /KEL XXXXXX

Victoria Chavez said...

Hi Sharon! I am too very sorry that we didn't get to meet in Chicago. I didn't get your message until I was on my way to the airport on Thursday morning.

I am so thrilled for you! You have no idea how bad I felt when you left chicago after having chemo. You will get better now and believe me it is such a miracle! I'm rooting for you. Please keep up with your blog so I can follow your progress.

Much love to you and Craig,
Victoria

Anonymous said...

Great to hear all is on rack and you are doing well. i cant beleive you were that concerned about losing that brick of a phone!!

will keep reading the blog loving the tales you tell.

Debsxxx

Anonymous said...

Craig and sharon, how are you? It's kind of exciting what you are going through but a little stressful. I also lost my phone but I found it like you. hehehe...I also lost my camera. oops.

I know you can make it like me, from the help of Craig, mom and your boys and Jesus. I'll pray for you. Call me sometimes. Love, Lisa (typed by my mom)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going well. I still can't believe Craig read a book. Did it have lots of pictures?
Love,
Emily and Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi Sharon and Craig,
Its The Brits signing in. We have been keeping an eye on the blog 4 news of u all and are so pleased that at last u will achieve ur goal. Sue sends her love and says sorry that she has not been in contact but dad has been quite poorly. If u need anything let us know.
love 2 u all...The Brits

About Me

I work as an RN in Endoscopy at John C. Lincoln Hospital and in 2006 I was diagnosed with Systemic Scleroderma, a condition that has no known treatment and was always symptom management. After doing some research, I discovered Dr. Burt, a doctor in Chicago who is pioneering the use of stem cell transplant to treat Scleroderma. This process uses my own stem cells - taken from me, cleaned, and then re-introduced back into my body, so that it will no longer recognize the Scleroderma. This is a very basic summary of a complex procedure. Systemic Scleroderma has a very poor prognosis and with my symptoms worsening I feel that this is my only chance at getting treatment and reversing my symptoms. I have worked for 6 years at JCL, Deer Valley and hope to continue there with excellence. I wish to continue be a good mother to my 2 boys, a good wife to my wonderful husband, and maybe one day be a good grandmother.